The election of Donald Trump as president-elect of the United States yesterday sends a number of strong messages to America’s children. Here are 12 things they learned today:
- You can win if you bully people around;
- You can make fun of people with disabilities;
- Building walls against people is better than taking them down;
- Learning how to beat the system is a clever thing to do;
- Scientists don’t know what they’re talking about concerning climate change;
- People who are different from you can be dangerous;
- Shaking things up internationally is a good thing, even if it leads to nuclear war;
- Rich people deserve bigger tax breaks than poor people;
- Women who climb too high politically will be cut down to size;
- It really doesn’t matter what you think, as long as you can shout it loudly enough and get it spread around on a lot of social media;
- Reality television is indistinguishable from real life;
- Being obnoxious, loud, arrogant, and brash are good things because they get people to notice you.
Do we really want our children to learn these things?